This delicious Bread Dipping Oil with Mediterranean flavours takes minutes to prepare, and makes a fabulous appetiser! Serve with your favourite bread, some shavings of Parmesan cheese and a glass of wine!
Why we love this recipe:
This Mediterranean Dipping Oil is a great way to start a meal. It is perfect before most meals, but it also sits comfortably with a casual catch-up with friends over a glass of wine.
When dining at Italian restaurants, many of us are now accustomed to being served olive oil into which we can dip our crusty bread. However, as delicious as that is, when I’m having guests for dinner or drinks, I do like to appear to have made at least a small amount of effort. And so, inspired by the flavours of the Mediterranean, I have developed this dipping oil.
This is a super simple dipping oil which is easily made and yet full of flavour. This delicious starter comes together in about 5 minutes – they don’t come much quicker or easier than that.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Olive Oil – use a good quality olive oil for the very best flavour. Extra Virgin is our preference.
Chilli Flakes – we love the heat of chilli/red pepper flakes. Use more or less, depending on how much you like the heat.
Sea Salt Flakes – I highly recommend using sea salt flakes for delicious flavour and a little texture. Divine!
Dried Oregano and Basil – for me, these herbs are great pantry staples. They elevate the flavour of so many dishes, and are perfect in this Bread Dipping Oil.
Garlic – a clove of garlic which has been minced adds a lovely flavour to the oil.
Step by Step Instructions:
This is such a simple recipe, that it hardly needs instructions!
- Combine your ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve with crusty bread, shavings of Parmesan cheese, and if you like – a glass of wine!
Tips for Success and FAQs:
As this is such a simple recipe with very few ingredients, we recommend using the best quality products you’re able to find.
A good quality olive oil makes the difference in a recipe like this, where it is very much the star of the show.
Ensure that your dried herbs and chilli flakes are fresh – they lose their vibrancy and flavour the longer they have been around.
Fresh garlic as opposed to already chopped from a jar is also important.
The Bread Dipping Oil will last for 3 days. It can be made a day in advance, but the herbs and chilli may lose their vibrant colour. I recommend making it at least 30 minutes prior to serving, to allow the flavours to develop.
Absolutely – fresh basil and oregano work well, but you may still wish to use some dried herbs also, as they have a strong flavour. Fresh rosemary is also lovely in this Mediterranean Dipping Oil!
Other delicious recipes for you to try:
Create a delicious antipasto platter by serving the Bread Dipping Oil alongside some of these delicious recipes:
- Roasted Marinated Olives
- Roasted Capsicums
- Easy Spelt Focaccia
- Cannellini Bean Dip
- Oven Beef Baked Meatballs
- Gluten-Free Focaccia
- Caprese Bread Tartlets
- And perhaps a glass of Strawberry Prosecco or Pineapple Iced Tea!
A relaxed host makes for relaxed guests and successful entertaining. There is no stress involved to make this quickly and easily prepared starter. Prepare this Mediterranean Bread Dipping Oil, cut or tear some crusty bread to serve, relax and enjoy.
Let me know in the comments below when you have given this a try!
Bread Dipping Oil
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) extra virgin olive oil See Note 1
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped/minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes See Note 2
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 – 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes See Note 3
- Combine all of your ingredients in a bowl.
- Allow the flavours to develop for 30 minutes, and serve with your favourite bread.
- Using a good quality Olive Oil is important for the success of this recipe.
- Use sea salt flakes for the best flavour and texture. Adjust the amount of salt to your taste.
- Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes depending on the amount of heat you like. We use 1 tsp, as we love a slight heat.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on this being enjoyed as an appetiser between 6 people. You can adjust the amount you make accordingly, or it does keep for 3 days.