Marinated Parmesan is a simple to prepare appetiser that is packed full of delicious flavours. Garlic, oregano and a little chilli combine with the Parmesan and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and are perfectly complemented by slices of crusty bread. This easy appetiser will become a favourite!
Why we love this recipe:
This easy appetiser has been a family favourite for many years. Requiring just a few minutes of preparation time, the flavours of this Marinated Parmesan are vibrant and so delicious.
- It is a delicious starter which comes together in about 5-10 minutes – they don’t come much quicker or easier than that.
- My Marinated Parmesan is bursting with garlic and other delicious flavours, and when paired with warm, rustic bread is irresistible!
- You can omit or swap ingredients depending on your taste or what you have on hand.
- Easily adjust the quantities to make a larger batch if you are feeding a crowd.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Parmesan cheese – be sure to use good quality cheese. I have used Grana Padano.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – for the best flavour, we use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. As oil is the base of this dish, use the best olive oil that you can.
Garlic – a clove of garlic that has been minced adds a lovely flavour to the oil.
Chilli/Red pepper flakes – we love the heat of chilli/red pepper flakes. Use more or less, depending on how much you like the heat.
Spring onion/scallion – include the white bulb and some of the green.
Dried oregano – you could also use fresh oregano if you prefer.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Gather your ingredients.
- Chop your Parmesan into cubes – roughy 1 cm (½ inch).
- Add the Parmesan and other ingredients to a bowl. Mix well. Allow the flavours to develop for 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite bread.
Tips for Success and FAQs:
As this is such a simple recipe with very few ingredients, we recommend using the best quality products you’re able to find.
A good quality Parmesan makes the difference in a recipe like this, where it is very much the star of the show. I use Grana Padano.
Up to three days in the fridge, in an air-tight container.
Fresh oregano is also delicious in this recipe, and you could also use fresh chilli if you prefer.
The success of your Marinated Parmesan begins with the quality of the oil which you use. For the best flavour and nutritional benefits, use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Create an antipasto platter by serving the Marinated Parmesan alongside some of these delicious recipes:
- Marinated Olives
- Roasted Capsicums
- Marinated Mozzarella Balls
- Cannellini Bean Dip
- Oven Baked Beef Meatballs
- Herbed Bread Dipping Oil
- Marinated Feta
I love a recipe that is simple to prepare but tastes incredible, and my Marinated Parmesan is definitely both of those! Serve with your favourite bread or toasts, and if you wish, a glass of wine! Relax and enjoy.
Let me know in the comments below when you have given this a try!
I have adapted this recipe from one by Bill Granger from his book “Simply Bill”.
- 200 g (7 oz) Parmesan cheese – I use Grana Padano See Note 1
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chilli/red pepper flakes – or to taste
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) extra virgin olive oil See Note 2
- 1 spring onion/scallion
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Cut your Parmesan into cubes – roughly 1 cm (½ inch).
- Add the Parmesan to a bowl, and add your remaining ingredients.
- Mix together and allow to sit for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Serve with fresh bread.
- Use a good quality Parmesan cheese that you enjoy eating – I have used Grana Padano.
- Using a good quality Olive Oil is important for the success of this recipe.
- I have adapted this recipe from one by Bill Granger from his book “Simply Bill”.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on this being enjoyed as an appetiser between 4 people. It does not include what the Parmesan is served with. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.