You will love this recipe for Herbed Bread Dipping Oil. It takes just minutes to prepare and is a fabulous appetiser. Seasoned olive oil is packed with the flavour of fresh herbs and garlic; you just need crusty bread to accompany it and you’re ready to go!
Why we love this recipe:
Take every opportunity to enjoy this Herbed Olive Oil with crusty bread. The seasoned oil, packed with the flavour of fresh herbs and garlic, is always a favourite for entertaining.
- This Dipping Oil makes a fabulous appetiser! It is easily made and yet full of flavour.
- It is a delicious starter which comes together in about 5 minutes – they don’t come much quicker or easier than that.
- My Herbed Bread Dipping Oil is bursting with garlic and fresh herbs, and when paired with warm, rustic bread is irresistible!
- You can omit or swap ingredients depending on your taste or what you have on hand.
- Easily adjust the quantities to make a larger batch if you are feeding a crowd.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Olive Oil – for the best flavour, we use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. As oil is the base of this dip, use the best olive oil that you can.
Garlic – adds great flavour to the herbed dip.
Basil – fresh basil is fragrant and flavoursome, a great addition to the dipping oil.
Parsley – for the best flavour, my preference is the flat-leaf, Continental variety.
Sea salt flakes – sea salt adds great flavour.
Long red chilli – also known as cayenne chilli, it adds colour and flavour. It is generally mild, but the heat can vary so add according to your taste.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Finely slice the basil and parsley.
- Mince the garlic and chop the chilli.
- In a small bowl, add the herbs, chilli and garlic to the extra virgin olive oil, along with sea salt flakes. Stir to combine.
- Set the mixture aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Serve with some fresh bread to dip and enjoy!
Tips for Success and FAQs:
As this is such a simple recipe with very few ingredients, we recommend using the best quality products you’re able to find.
A good quality olive oil makes the difference in a recipe like this, where it is very much the star of the show.
This recipe uses garlic and fresh herbs – they give you vibrant flavours which are heightened if you use warm bread for dipping. I like to use my Easy Spelt Focaccia.
Chop your herbs finely – you don’t want coarse leaves.
The success of your Herbed Olive Oil for bread dipping begins with the quality of the oil which you use. For the best flavour and nutritional benefits, use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I recommend making the dipping oil at least 30 minutes prior to serving, to allow the flavours to develop. It can be made up to a day in advance, however, the herbs may lose their vibrant colour.
If you would prefer to use dried herbs, I recommend trying our Mediterranean Dipping Oil.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Create an antipasto platter by serving the Herbed Bread Dipping Oil alongside some of these delicious recipes:
- Roasted Marinated Olives
- Roasted Capsicums
- Cannellini Bean Dip
- Marinated Feta
- Oven Baked Beef Meatballs
- Baked Feta
- Marinated Parmesan
When entertaining, I am fond of recipes that are easy to prepare but are still full of flavour as I believe that a relaxed host makes for relaxed guests and successful entertaining. There is no stress involved to make this quickly and easily prepared starter. Serve with your favourite bread, some shavings of Parmesan cheese if you wish, and a glass of wine! Relax and enjoy.
Let me know in the comments below when you have given this a try!
Herbed Bread Dipping Oil
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) extra virgin olive oil See Note 1
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped/minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes See Note 2
- 1/4 cup basil leaves – finely chopped
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley – finely chopped
- long red chilli – finely sliced, to taste See Note 3
- Finely chop your basil, parsley, garlic and chilli. Add to a small bowl.
- Add the olive oil and salt to the herb mixture and stir well.
- Allow the flavours to develop for 30 minutes, and serve with your favourite bread.
- Using a good quality Olive Oil is important for the success of this recipe.
- Use sea salt flakes for the best flavour and texture. Adjust the amount of salt to your taste.
- Adjust the amount of red chilli depending on the amount of heat you like.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on this being enjoyed as an appetiser between 6 people. It does not include what the dipping oil is served with. The nutritional information is an estimate only.