Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup – a golden bowl of goodness that is sure to delight!
Baby, it’s cold outside.
Winter in Australia has well and truly arrived.
Warm up with a bowl of my comforting Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup!
This soup truly is delicious and nutritious.
It is one of the first recipes I ever learnt to make when I was younger – and all these years later, is still a favourite!
I love to make a big batch and store the leftovers in the freezer. You can certainly put your own twist on it also – fresh herbs and baby spinach are a great addition just before serving.
Both sweet potato and pumpkin are full of health benefits. They contain many vitamins and minerals and are high in antioxidants.
Aside from being nutritious, this recipe is suitable for people with different dietary requirements. Serve with crusty bread or my Mixed Seed Crackers for a delicious meal!
More delicious soup recipes:
- Roasted Carrot Soup with Coconut
- Broccoli and Potato Soup
- Roasted Capsicum Soup with Basil Oil
- Potato Soup
- Rocket and Broccoli Soup by Another Food Blogger
Like a lot of my recipes, I strongly encourage you to make this soup your own. The basic recipe is vegan and gluten-free and delicious as it is. However, if you do not have specific dietary restrictions you can tailor it to your own requirement. If you would like a more creamy soup, drizzle some cream on top or dollop on some Greek yoghurt just before serving.
Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 onions brown
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 gm pumpkin
- 400 gm sweet potato
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 270 ml coconut milk (I used a can of Ayam)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut pumpkin and sweet potato into small cubes. Finely slice onions.
- Sweat onions in the oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add sweet potato and pumpkin, and the spices. Stir until well coated. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Using an immersion blender or similar, blend soup until smooth.
- Stir through coconut milk.
- Serve with garnish of your choice. (Eg: fresh herbs)