Creamy Whipped Feta is a delicious dish that you can make super fast! You will need just a few simple ingredients to make this tasty dip and all are readily available in supermarkets.
Why we love this recipe:
This recipe has been inspired by a Greek dip, Tyrosalata, which translates as “cheese salad”.
- There are so many ways to enjoy the Creamy Whipped Feta. It is delicious as a dip served with a variety of colourful veggie strips and accompanied by Crostini or Homemade Pita Chips.
- I like to top the crostini with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes or slices of fresh apple drizzled with honey. Or, use it instead of butter on a sandwich. The options are endless.
- A small amount of cream cheese softens and mellows the salty, tangy flavour of the feta cheese. Olive oil helps the dip become smooth and creamy and some lemon zest adds a bright flavour.
- As well, you can have it ready to enjoy in about 7 minutes. So quick and easy! Pour a glass of wine and sit back and enjoy.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
For the dip:
Feta cheese – traditionally, Greek feta would be used. However, you can use the cheese of your choice.
Cream cheese – for the best flavour, use a full-fat cheese.
Olive oil – my choice is extra virgin olive oil. Use the best quality olive oil that you have.
Lemon zest – adds a bright note. Be careful to avoid the white pith as it is bitter.
For the topping:
Sesame seeds – briefly toasting the seeds increases their nutty flavour.
Chilli flakes – these dried flakes add some spice. Use more, or less, as you prefer.
Lemon zest and extra virgin olive oil – for the best flavour.
Step by step instructions:
- Add feta, cream cheese, olive oil and lemon zest to the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend until the ingredients are well mixed, smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the Creamy Whipped Feta to a serving dish. Heat a small frying pan over medium heat, add the sesame seeds and toast to a light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Top the Whipped Feta with sesame seeds, chilli flakes, lemon zest and drizzle with the additional olive oil. Use immediately or refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Tips for success and FAQs:
The dip itself is naturally gluten-free, so if you follow a gluten-free diet, choose suitable accompaniments such as an appropriate pita bread or crackers.
You can vary the toppings to suit, such as:
- A drizzle of basil pesto
- Chopped parsley/chives and lemon zest
- Cracked black pepper and a drizzle of honey
- Extra virgin olive oil and sumac
- Chilli oil or my Preserved Chillies
You can keep it covered in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The cheese will stiffen during this time so be sure to remove it from the refrigerator about a half hour before serving.
No, I do not recommend it – the Whipped Feta does not freeze well.
Use good quality feta that is smooth and creamy. If you are using a drier feta, it may be necessary to use more cream cheese or olive oil to thin it to a creamy blend.
It is delicious as a dip served with a variety of colourful veggie sticks. Try it on crostini with slices of fresh apple drizzled with honey. As well, use it as a spread in a sandwich instead of butter or spread it on toast and top with avocado.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Here are some more of our favourite dip recipes. Try a few of them today, and create a delicious dip platter!
- Roasted Capsicum Pesto
- Green Goddess Dip
- Easy Hummus
- The Best Baba Ganoush
- Simple Tuna Dip
- Avocado, Yoghurt and Mint Dip
- Homemade Onion Dip
My Creamy Whipped Feta is a revelation. It transforms an already delicious cheese into a smooth, spreadable dip. As well, it is quickly and easily made. Perfect for stress-free entertaining! Let me know in the comments below when you have given it a try!
This post was originally published in July 2018. It has been updated with new photos and more information. The recipe remains the same.
Creamy Whipped Feta
For the dip:
- 180 g (6.5 oz) feta cheese – at room temperature See Note 1
- 80 g (3 oz) cream cheese – at room temperature
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil See Note 2
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest See Note 3
For the topping:
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Put feta, cream cheese, olive oil and lemon zest into a food processor. Blend together until ingredients are well mixed, smooth and creamy. Check the seasoning – if it is too salty, add a little more cream cheese. (The level of salt will depend on the feta.)
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat, add the sesame seeds and toast to a light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Top the whipped feta with sesame seeds, chilli flakes, lemon zest and drizzle with the olive oil. Refrigerate if not using immediately. See Note 4.
- Use good quality feta that is smooth and creamy. If you are using a drier feta, it may be necessary to use more cream cheese or olive oil to thin it to a creamy blend.
- In Australia, the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. You may need to adjust your quantities accordingly.
- When removing the zest from the lemon, be careful to avoid the white pith as it is bitter.
- If you refrigerate the Whipped Feta, the texture will become firm. Be sure to bring it to room temperature for serving.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on four serves. It does not include what the dip is served with. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.