Sweet Chilli Sauce – a delicious sauce that is so easy to make!
If you enjoy adding a boost of flavour to your food look no further – this is the recipe for you.
This Sweet Chilli Sauce is an enormously popular condiment and there are endless possibilities for its use.
It is an essential condiment to many Asian recipes but also finds itself very much at home in Western cuisine. Just think of it accompanying hot, crispy potato chips. Delicious! It is also very simple to make and provides the satisfaction of not just knowing it’s your own creation but knowing the quality of ingredients it contains; there are no surprise additives here.
With just six ingredients (not counting the water) you can have this Sweet Chilli Sauce prepared in little over 20 minutes.
The recipe uses long red chillies which are generally a milder chilli. If you like very hot chilli you may prefer to substitute one of the long red chillies for two (or three) bird’s eye chillies.
What is your favourite was to enjoy this delicious sauce? If you give this recipe a try, please let us know in the comments.
Xx Alex and Faye
P.S. We love to serve the sweet chilli sauce with:
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic finely peeled and chopped
- 4 long red chillies * finely chopped with seeds included
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour *
- 2 tbsp cold water
- The long, red chillies are generally mild, but not always, so as a precautionary measure when chopping them you may choose to wear disposable gloves.
- In a small saucepan place the sugar, water, rice wine vinegar, garlic and chillies. Bring to a boil and simmer rapidly on medium to high heat for 12 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with the water. Lower the heat, and re-stir the cornflour and water mixture as the cornflour tends to settle if made a little in advance.
- Add the cornflour and water to the chillies, stir well and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes. This helps to evenly distribute the chillies through the mixture.
- Decant into a sterilised* jar or bottle.