If you are vegan/vegetarian or if you have a seafood allergy, this recipe for Tofu Sesame Toasts will be of interest to you. This is a must-try recipe, inspired by the classic Chinese appetiser, prawn toast. They are quick and easy to make and their delicate balance of flavours may convert even those who strongly dislike tofu.
My friend Natalie runs the amazing website:
Check her site out!
Natalie’s website has a plethora of information for your health, well-being and some amazing recipes along the way! A lot of Natalie’s readers are vegan or vegetarian. So, I decided to write a recipe that she could share with her followers.
For this recipe, in place of prawns, I have used a firm tofu. Just be sure to not use silken tofu which would be too soft. The egg has been replaced by chia seeds, which, when soaked for 15 minutes, produce a gel-like substance which helps bind the ingredients together. In order to make this recipe vegan, I replace Oyster sauce with a vegan variation, made from mushrooms, which adds depth of flavour. Incorporating traditional ingredients of spring onions, ginger, sesame oil and soy/tamari sauce provides additional flavour.
This is a simple recipe that that is guaranteed to impress.
The toasts are very quick to make and you don’t need a deep fryer for these, they are shallow fried in a frying pan.
Just whiz the ingredients in a food processor spread generously on slices of baguette, sprinkle on sesame seeds and shallow fry.
However, these crispy toasts should come with a warning – one piece is never enough for this simple and tasty starter.
They have a crisp toast base with a sesame seed topping which provides extra crunchiness and a mild nutty taste.
For easy entertaining, prepare the toasts up to the stage of shallow frying, a day in advance. Please note that they are best served soon after they are fried. They will become soggy if left to sit.
They are delicious served with our homemade Sweet Chilli Sauce.
Enjoy this yummy recipe, and don’t forget to stop over and say hi on Natalie’s Page!
Happy Friday all!
Tofu Sesame Toasts
Vegan Tofu Filling:
- 1 tsp white chia seeds
- 3 tsp cold water
- 250 gm firm tofu Must be firm and not silken tofu *
- 2 spring onions white and green part separated
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger finely grated
- 2 tsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari *
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp vegan oyster sauce *
- freshly ground black pepper
To Assemble the Toasts:
- 1 baguette cut to slices around 1 1/2 cm thick * or gluten free bread
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds you may need slightly more *
- 6 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the chia seeds with the water and set aside about 15 minutes, until a gel forms.
- Put the tofu on several layers of paper towel and pat it dry. It is important to remove as much moisture as possible.*Place the tofu in a food processor.
- Roughly chop the white part of the spring onion. Finely slice the green part and set aside.
- Add the white spring onion, finely grated ginger, along with the tamari/soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, vegan oyster sauce, the chia seed gel and black pepper to the processor. Whizz all the ingredients to a paste then transfer to a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of finely sliced green spring onion to the mixture and set aside a little extra for garnish.
Adjust seasoning to taste if necessary. Refrigerate the mixture for a half hour to help the filling firm.
- Spread the filling onto the slices of bread; be generous so there’s plenty of flavour. Sprinkle the filling with sesame seeds, gently pressing them down a little with a spatula.
If making in advance, refrigerate until ready to cook. *
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 Degrees C (300 F).Layer three slices of paper towel on an ovenproof plate.Heat a large non-stick frying pan with the oil. Heat until a small piece of bread dropped into the oil sizzles.Put the toasts in, a few at a time, sesame seed side down.
- Fry 1-2 minutes until the sesame seeds become golden.Gently and carefully turn the toasts and cook until the bread side is golden brown.*
- Place on the prepared plate and put into the oven to keep warm whilst you cook the remainder.
- Serve the toasts sprinkled with an easily made Sweet Chilli Sauce or a sauce of your choice. Sprinkle with a little extra finely sliced green spring onion as garnish.