Vegan Chocolate Mousse is my latest obsession! Made with just 5 ingredients this easily prepared Chocolate Mousse is decadently rich and delicious. It is smooth, creamy, and chocolatey, and takes just minutes to prepare.
Everyone needs a few go-to desserts in their repertoire.
Chocolate Mousse is one of mine; it is a classic and one which I frequently prepare so it’s fantastic to now have a recipe which my vegan friends can also enjoy. In fact, many people with specific dietary requirements will be able to eat this Mousse as it is dairy free.
If, however, you do eat dairy, it is also delicious when prepared with cows’ milk and regular Greek yoghurt.
This is a recipe which is quickly and easily prepared.
Pour hot soy milk over finely chopped dark chocolate. In 1 or 2 minutes the chocolate will have melted. Stir the mixture until it forms a thick ganache, then add the maple syrup, orange zest and coconut yoghurt. Spoon into serving dishes and wait – patiently if possible.
There are a few tips for success with this recipe. First, you will want to start with a high-quality chocolate as the chocolate in your recipe is responsible for flavour. And when a recipe calls for dark chocolate I don’t recommend substituting with white or milk chocolate as they contain much more sugar and their ability to set may be diminished. If you want to use white or milk chocolate it is better to search for a recipe which has been specifically designed for them.
This mousse is not only quicker and easier to make than the lighter, fluffier, traditional French version, but serious lovers of dark chocolate may actually like it more.
It is a decadently rich, dense version. The absence of cream and eggs and the addition of yoghurt let the dark chocolate flavour shine.
This Chocolate Mousse is simple enough to rustle up for a mid-week family meal or sufficiently elegant to serve at a formal dinner party. It is lovely served alone or even more delicious served with fresh berries. I also like to serve it with a delicious dollop of my Vegan Cashew Cream.
I am sure you will enjoy this recipe. If you do try it, please let me know in the comment section below.
Xx Alex and Faye
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 170 g good-quality dark chocolate with 70% cocoa finely chopped
- 120 ml soy milk*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp orange zest finely grated
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt*
- Place the finely chopped chocolate into a medium heatproof bowl.
- Over medium heat, in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the milk just to a boil. Pour the almost boiling milk over the chocolate and leave it to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir with a spatula until you have a smooth, glossy ganache.
- Using a spatula, fold the maple syrup, orange zest and yoghurt into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mousse into four glasses or small serving cups and chill for about one hour until firm.
The mousse can be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered with cling wrap.
- Refrigerating the mousse produces a firm set. I like to remove the mousse from the refrigerator about a half hour before serving to soften the texture.Serve with some berries or coconut yoghurt sprinkled with shaved chocolate if desired.