Last Updated on
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake -a delicious and simple cake that will become a household favourite!
This cake ticks all the boxes:
- It’s quick and easy
- Well, it’s cake
- Wait – did I mention it’s chocolate cake 🙂
- And, gluten free – but everyone will love it
- The most of important of all – it tastes fantastic
I’m all in favour of quick, easy recipes; after all, most of us are time poor these days.
However, I don’t want any saving of time to produce a disappointing result. I guess you could say I want to have my cake and eat it too 🙂
The recipe I share with you is proof that a delicious cake can be made with no more effort than is required with a packet cake mix.
You will have the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself and being in control of the quality of all the ingredients. I prefer to make recipes from scratch so I know exactly what I’m eating, thereby avoiding any unwanted additives.
Not surprisingly, this chocolate cake has become a family favourite and the recipe could not be simpler. It involves just one bowl so there is less washing up, always a plus, and the inclusion of sour cream means it stays deliciously moist for several days. Not that you’ll need to worry about that, it will not last long.
Some gluten-free baked goods are best eaten on the day they’re made, having a tendency to become dry fairly quickly. Not so with this one so feel confident to make it a day in advance if you need. You can serve this cake simply, with just a dusting of icing sugar but if you wish to dress it up a little to serve as dessert, serve with whipped cream, mascarpone or crème fraiche and some berries.
I encourage you to try this recipe, I’m sure you will like it. Please let me know if you try it.
xx Alex and Faye
P.S. Searching for more fabulous cake recipes? Have a look at these:
- Gluten-Free Pear and Raspberry Cake
- Belgian Lemon Tea Cake
- Easy Almond Cake
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
- Blueberry Cake
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
- 1 cup caster/superfine sugar
- 1 cup plain/all purpose flour (I used Orgran gluten free)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Dutch Process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg or 2 small
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 180 Degrees C (350 F)
- Line the base of a 9” round spring-form tin with baking paper, and grease the sides.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer or place them in a bowl and use a hand held electric mixer. Mix them all together until the batter is smooth, but do not over beat.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. A few crumbs are okay but there should not be any batter.
- Place the tin on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove the side of the cake tin. Cool a further 10 minutes before carefully removing the cake to the rack to further cool.
- Dust with icing sugar/confectioners’ sugar and serve as is or with whipped cream and strawberries.