This easily made delicious Vanilla Cashew Cream is sure to become a favourite. It is vegan – meaning it is suitable for those on a plant-based diet, or lactose intolerant. Or, perhaps for people who just want a more nutritious condiment.
I had so much fun creating our Vegan Tofu Sesame Toasts recipe for my friend Natalie recently, that I decided it was time for something sweet!
One of the things I like most about the vegan cashew cream is that it is extremely versatile, and very delicious when flavoured with vanilla.
You can serve it with mixed berries, to top your morning oats, as a dip for fruit, alongside brownies, cakes or added to a fruit smoothie.
Customise this easy recipe to suit yourself. If you like it sweeter, add more dates; less sweet, add fewer dates. To make a thick cream add less water; to make it a more pourable consistency add more water. Make the vegan cashew cream to suit your requirements.
Medjool dates provide the sweetness for the cream. Medjool dates are sweet, soft, sticky dates usually found in the fresh produce section of the supermarket or at a health food store. They have a soft texture and a natural caramel flavour.
Soaking the cashews overnight helps them blend more easily, enhances nutrient absorption and aids with digestion. Just drain them, put them into a blender with the dates, some fresh water and vanilla. Whiz together – you have light, fluffy, decadently delicious, vanilla infused cashew cream. Just to reinforce the point; this gorgeous cream is all natural, no refined sugar and dairy free!
Enjoy this delicious Vegan Cashew Cream with our scrumptious Vegan Chocolate Cake!
Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
Xx Alex and Faye
Vanilla Cashew Cream
For accuracy, when weights are provided, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- 1 cup raw cashews *
- 4 Medjool dates soaked for 30 minutes and stones removed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¾ cup water may need slightly more depending on texture required
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak overnight* or for a minimum of 4 hours. If you’re soaking them overnight, cover and place in the fridge.
- 30 minutes before preparing the cream, add the dates to the cashews and soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and dates, rinse with fresh water and drain well.
- Add the cashews, dates, vanilla bean paste and water to a high speed blender*. Blend, scraping down the sides as needed.Add water if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Check the flavour, add more vanilla if required.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.