Greek Style Chicken and Salsa is the perfect dish for those moments you just want (or need) a quick meal.
This recipe has it all. It is quick to make and perfect for those moments you want a nutritious meal that is full of flavour. The chicken is seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano, cooked quickly in a grill pan or non-stick frying pan and then topped with a Greek style salsa. The addition of the salsa is a simple way to lift a piece of grilled chicken in terms of colour, nutrition and flavour.
I prefer to use chicken tenderloins, flattened a little for cooking, but it’s also possible to use chicken breast, sliced in half horizontally and flattened with a mallet or the heel of your hand to make the thickness more even. I find the tenderloins, not surprisingly, to be more tender; the breast is inclined to become dry if even a little over cooked.
In this simple form the meal is low-carbohydrate, but it also works well with a few optional extras. I like to serve this meal with a dollop of tzatziki or plain Greek yogurt. Warmed pita bread is also great as a side and offers the opportunity of using the tzatziki /yogurt, salsa and chicken in a more casual rolled wrap. If time permits, Greek style roast potatoes are also a good accompaniment. Use this recipe as a base and make it your own with your choice of accompaniments.
The cooking takes place so quickly that you need to have the salsa and any other accompaniments ready before you begin to cook the chicken. Another favourite to serve with this dish is my delicious Whipped Feta.
Enjoy, and have a great weekend!
Xx Alex and Faye
Greek Style Chicken and Salsa
- 200 gm cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 1/2 small red onion finely sliced into half-moon shapes
- 90 gm feta cheese coarsely crumbled or diced
- 1/3 cup mint leaves fresh, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, divided
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 8 chicken tenderloins *
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Serving Suggestions (Optional):
- roasted potatoes
- tzatziki or Greek yoghurt
- warmed pita bread
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, olives, onion, feta, mint and ½ teaspoon of oregano.Dress the salsa with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- To prepare the tenderloins, place them between two sheets of cling film. With the flat side of a mallet, or the heel of your hand, gently pound the tenderloin to an even thickness until they are almost double in size.If using chicken breasts*, lay the breast flat on a cutting board. Place the palm of your hand on the chicken and carefully cut horizontally through the breast, giving you two pieces. Place between two pieces of cling film. Using the flat side of a meat mallet lightly pound each piece to a more even thickness.
- Heat a grill pan* over medium heat.
- Brush the chicken on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. When the pan is ready, working in batches, cook the chicken 1-2 minutes per side.*
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and cover with aluminium foil to keep warm.When all the chicken is cooked, top it with the salsa and serve with accompaniments of choice.