This easy to prepare Tomato and Onion Salad is the perfect side dish to serve with grilled or roasted meats, seafood or pasta! The salad comes together quickly and the flavours are enhanced with a simple dressing.
Why we love this recipe:
The fresh flavours of my Tomato and Onion Salad work so well with many things.
Enjoy the salad with:
- Roast or Grilled Chicken
- A pasta dish, such as my Pumpkin and Ricotta Shells
- Pita Chips, for a simple lunch
- Tuna and Potato Patties
This is a great dish to serve to a crowd. The quantities are easily multiplied to suit your requirements. It is popular and will quickly disappear.
You’ll love it because:
- It is both gluten-free and vegan, so suitable for many dietary requirements.
- The salad can be customised to your personal taste – prefer to use coriander/cilantro or brown onion? It will be just as delicious.
- It takes just minutes to prepare.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Grape or cherry tomatoes – both work well in this recipe. Choose tomatoes that are just ripe for the best flavour and texture.
Red onion – you could also substitute brown/yellow onion or spring onion/scallion if you prefer.
Flat-leaf parsley – adds freshness and colour.
Jalapeno – this fresh chilli adds lovely flavour and some heat. Adjust the quantity according to your personal taste. If you prefer to not use chilli, you can omit it or substitute it with some finely chopped green capsicum/bell pepper.
Olive oil – to complement the flavour of the tomatoes, my preference is for extra virgin olive oil.
Red wine vinegar – you could also use sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
Sea salt and black pepper – my preference is for sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
Step by step instructions:
- Chop your tomatoes in halves or quarters, depending on their size.
- Finely dice the red onion. Chop the parsley.
- Mix your dressing together in a small bowl.
- Combine the ingredients together in a bowl, and check the seasoning.
Tips for success and FAQs:
The Tomato and Onion Salad will have the best flavour when served at room temperature. Refrigerating tomatoes dulls their flavour.
Ensure the dish is seasoned to your liking – adjust the salt, pepper and vinegar to your preference.
I like to use grape or cherry tomatoes.
The Tomato and Onion Salad is best prepared shortly before serving, to maintain the best texture of the ingredients. If you prefer to prepare the dish in advance, I recommend keeping the dressing separate until you are ready to eat. Always ensure that your tomatoes are at room temperature when serving.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
We love to use tomatoes in many preparations. These are some more of our favourite recipes:
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Smoked Salmon and Tomato Salad
- Whipped Ricotta with Tomatoes
- Tomato Puff Pastry Tart
- Spinach and Feta Galettes
Enjoy the vibrant flavours of this Tomato and Onion Salad, and be sure to let me know in the comments below when you have tried it!
Tomato and Onion Salad
- 400 g (14 oz) grape or cherry tomatoes – quartered
- ½ red onion – finely chopped See Note 1
- ½ jalapeno – finely chopped – or to taste See Note 2
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley – finely chopped See Note 3
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil See Note 4
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste See Note 5
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Cut the tomatoes in quarters, and add to a medium-size bowl.
- Peel and finely chop half a red onion.
- Cut the jalapeno chilli in half and remove the seeds if less heat is required, then finely chop the chilli.
- Next, add finely chopped parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt and pepper. Toss together and check that the seasoning is to your taste. Serve immediately.
- If not serving immediately, add the olive oil, vinegar and the salt just before serving. If added in advance, the salt will draw moisture from the ingredients and the salad will become watery. The salad will have the best flavour when served at room temperature. Refrigerating tomatoes dulls their flavour.
- You could also use a brown/yellow onion or spring onion if you prefer.
- Continental/Italian parsley is the flat-leaf variety. To me, the flavour and texture is superior to curly parsley.
- Omit the jalapeno if you do not like the heat, or add more to taste if you prefer it spicy.
- In Australia, the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. You may have to adjust your measurements accordingly.
- Ensure that the dish is adequately seasoned to your liking, to bring out the best flavour.
- This salad can also be dressed with our Honey and Dijon Mustard Dressing.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on the Fresh Tomato Salsa being enjoyed as an appetiser. It would serve 4 people if used as a side dish. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
We served this with baked fish and it was delicious! This was so flavorful and easy to prepare that I made extra to have this on its own as a meal with some toasted bread. This recipe’s a keeper!
Hi Jamie, I am so pleased that you enjoyed the Tomato and Onion Salad with baked fish. Such a good idea to leave some to enjoy with toasted bread. 🙂