Last Updated on
I was speaking with my good friend Erica from Bring Your Own Kombucha recently.
Erica was keen for a couple of easily prepared, healthy treats for Easter. I suggested one of my favourite dips, my Roasted Carrot Hummus! (Be sure to check back to the blog on Wednesday, for one of my favourite sweet treats!) This recipe is very special to me – it was gifted to me by a dear friend who is no longer with us.
When it comes to Easter, several things come to mind;
Chocolate, of course! (That is where Wednesday comes in…!) Another thing I immediately think of is the favourite snack of the Easter Bunny – carrots! So, I thought it was the perfect time to share this delicious dip recipe. I previously shared with you my Easy Hummus – a traditional version of this scrumptious dip. My Roasted Carrot Hummus is made in a similar way, but with the addition of carrots which have been roasted to perfection – bringing out their natural sweetness, and a slightly caramelised flavour.
I shared a little history of Hummus in my previous recipe, but in case you didn’t see it, here’s a little information for you now:
The exact origin of hummus is uncertain. It has crossed many borders, being enjoyed by people throughout the Middle East and Greece. Whatever its origin, almost everyone knows hummus, the quintessential chickpea dip. Hummus has a few different spellings, depending on the region.
Regular readers of the blog will know I am big on recipes which are made from scratch, as I love to know that my food doesn’t contain any artificial preservatives, colours or flavours. I also believe that nothing tastes better than homemade food, and my Dips are no exception to this rule!
To prepare my Roasted Carrot Hummus, I cut my carrots into small pieces, and roast with a little olive oil and salt.
Once they’re cooked, I set them aside to cool slightly. I then add the carrots and the remaining ingredients to a small blender. Once blended and smooth, I adjust the seasoning accordingly – and that is it! Simple, delicious and nutritious – my three favourite words when it comes to food and eating!
I love to serve my Roasted Carrot Hummus with veggie sticks (celery, carrot, cucumber, radish) and my Mixed Seed Crackers! Top with some roasted chickpeas or cayenne pepper for extra texture and flavour, or enjoy the vibrant colour as is!
I do hope you’ll give this delicious recipe a try – let me know in the comments below what you think! And be sure to say hi to Erica over at Bring Your Own Kombucha – her blog has been one of my favourites for so long!
See you on Wednesday for a Sweet Treat! 🙂
Roasted Carrot Hummus
- 300 g carrots peeled and chopped
- 20 ml olive oil 5ml for roasting carrot, 15ml for dip
- 150 g chickpeas I use organic canned
- 1/2 cup water add additional water if too thick
- 30 ml lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 30 ml tahini well stirred
- 1 small clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- roasted chickpeas, cayenne pepper or a drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200 Degrees C (390 F).Chop carrots into small pieces (approximately 1 inch/2.5 cm).Place in roasting dish with 1 teaspoon of oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Roast the carrots for approximately 35 minutes, or until they are tender.Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Add the chickpeas to a small blender, along with the carrots, remaining ingredients and some of the water. (Add the water gradually to achieve desired thickness).Blend until smooth.
- Adjust the seasoning and texture to your liking.Serve in a dish with cayenne pepper, a drizzle of olive oil or some roasted chickpeas.
- I liked to serve my hummus with some veggie sticks and crackers.