Last Updated on
If you’re looking for some baking inspiration, this Easy Gluten-Free Blueberry Cake may just fit the bill.
This truly is an easily made cake and it’s so quick to whip up. There’s no traditional method of creaming butter and sugar together in this recipe. You just put all the cake ingredients into a food processor, whiz to blend, pour into a prepared cake tin, top with blueberries and bake.
The cake is moist and delicious, with a bright, lemon flavour, heightened by the tang of Greek yoghurt. The yoghurt also adds a wonderful richness to the batter and makes the cake moist. Fresh, plump, juicy blueberries stud the rich cake batter and the addition of a small amount of polenta adds a welcome textural contrast.
I definitely recommend using fresh blueberries when they’re abundant and reasonably priced at the height of their season, but you can absolutely use frozen berries as well.
You do need to be gentle when incorporating frozen berries; if they’re handled too much they will “bleed” into the batter. Another lovely alternative would be to substitute raspberries for the blueberries. They also work very well with lemon and yoghurt.
This cake is special enough to serve to guests as a dessert, with a dollop of thick, rich Greek yoghurt as the perfect accompaniment. It’s also sufficiently homely to not need a special occasion at all. Like most cakes, this cake is at its best on the day that it’s made as the edges are then slightly crispy. However, it is still lovely even on the third day – if it lasts that long.
I am sure you will find this an essential addition to your recipe collection. An easily made cake that is extremely moist and moreish, exceptional yet simple, is something we all appreciate.
Please let me know if you try this beautiful cake.
Easy Gluten-Free Blueberry Cake
- 125 g butter softened
- 1 cup caster sugar superfine sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 eggs large
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal *
- 1/2 cup fine polenta cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cornflour ensure it’s from corn not wheat
- 1/2 tsp baking powder gluten free
- 3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 125 g blueberries * approximately 1 cup
- icing sugar to dust optional
- Preheat your oven to 170 Degrees C (340 F).
- Grease a 25.5cm tart pan with a removable base.
- Blend until the ingredients are smooth and well combined.Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Add the blueberries to the top of the batter, and, using a skewer or the tip of a small knife, push some of the berries into the batter.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the cake is golden and the centre is cooked.Test that the cake is done by inserting a small skewer or toothpick into the centre of the cake. The skewer/toothpick should come out clean.
- Stand the pan on a metal cooling rack for about 20 minutes or until the cake is cool enough to gently remove the cake from the pan to a platter.I use an offset spatula to gently slide it off.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve if desired.Serve with Greek yoghurt or cream.