This flavour-filled salad of Char-Grilled Zucchini With Yoghurt And Mint evokes the bright, sunny flavours of summer. It is quick and easy to make and substantial enough to be a light meal in itself. It also works well when served with some simply cooked chicken or salmon.
Lightly charring the Zucchini enhances the flavour significantly. Today I have cooked them indoors, but when weather permits, I cook them on the barbecue for an additional smoky flavour.
The zucchini is sliced on the diagonal, tossed in a little olive oil and charred on the grill, transforming the humble zucchini into the star of a nutritious salad. If you’re a lover of grilled vegetables like me, you will enjoy this fresh salad which has a slight Greek accent. The slightly charred zucchini are placed on a flavour-filled bed of Greek yoghurt which is mixed with lemon zest, lemon juice and mint; all delicious Mediterranean flavours.
Textural contrast is provided by topping the Zucchini Salad with some lightly toasted slivered almonds.
To serve the salad –
Serve the salad shortly after assembling as the zucchini will release juices into the yoghurt dressing. If you are preparing it in advance I suggest that you keep the grilled zucchini and dressing apart. Assemble the salad just prior to serving, ideally at room temperature, for the best flavour and appearance.
Crunchy and creamy textures are combined in this dish and two of my favourite flavour boosters, lemon and mint, highlight the charred zucchini. This vegetarian and gluten-free salad is as easy to make as it is to eat. It is perfect for the warm, sunny days which are approaching and has become a new favourite. I do hope you give it a try!
Xx Alex and Faye
P.S. Love veggies as much as we do!? Be sure to check out our Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower Salad!
Char-grilled Zucchini Salad with Yoghurt and Mint
- 400 gm zucchini approximately 3 medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds toasted
- extra mint leaves to garnish
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest divided
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice the zucchini on the diagonal about 1 cm/1/4” thick. Toss the zucchini slices in a bowl with the olive oil.
- Pre-heat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the zucchini about 2 minutes each side or until slightly charred.
- Transfer the cooked zucchini to a bowl or platter and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Repeat until all the zucchini is cooked.
- Meanwhile, prepare the yoghurt dressing. Place the yoghurt into a medium-sized bowl. Add 1 ½ teaspoons of lemon zest and the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add the chopped mint and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread the yoghurt dressing on a serving platter. When all the zucchini is cooked and have cooled a little, arrange the zucchini on the yoghurt dressing.
- Sprinkle with a few mint leaves and the reserved ½ teaspoon of lemon zest.
Add the toasted slivered almonds. Drizzle over the top the zucchini juices which have accumulated in the bowl. Serve as soon as possible after assembling.