Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli (Broccolini) is an ideal side dish that takes only a few minutes of preparation time! Delicious hot or cold, this simple dish will be on regular rotation.
Why we love this recipe:
Simple side dish recipes are fantastic to have as part of your repertoire – they can help elevate any meal.
My Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli (Broccolini) takes just a few minutes to prepare. After 15 minutes of roasting and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, this simple dish is ready to be enjoyed.
You will love this recipe because:
- It doesn’t get much easier to prepare!
- Containing just five ingredients, many of which are pantry staples, this recipe can be put together quickly.
- It is a great base recipe, that tastes fantastic on its own, but can be customised to your liking – see some of our favourite flavor additions in our tips for success section below!
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Broccolini – also known as tenderstem broccoli. Choose broccolini that has a base that is fresh (not dry) and a firm stem.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – with such a simple recipe, it is important to use the best ingredients. Extra virgin olive oil has great flavour and nutritional benefits.
Lemon juice – adds freshness and brings out the flavours of the dish. Serve with some extra lemon wedges if you are a lemon lover like me!
Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper – to taste.
Step by step instructions:
- Gather your ingredients, preheat your oven and prepare your baking trays.
- Divide the broccoli between the two baking trays.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until the tops are slightly charred and the broccolini stems are tender.
Tips for Success and FAQs:
Our simple recipe for Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli is a delicious dish on its own, but it is also a great base that you can add many different flavours to.
Some of our favourites include:
- Some fresh chilli or red pepper flakes for heat, or a spoon of our Preserved Chillies;
- A grating of fresh Parmesan cheeese;
- Crumbled feta cheese;
- Tossing with some Roasted Cherry Tomatoes;
Being a simple recipe with such few ingredients, ensure your ingredients are of high quality for the best flavour and result.
I highly recommend using two baking trays to ensure the broccolini roasts as opposed to steaming from being overcrowded.
There is no difference other than the name – depending on your location, you may be more familiar with one name over the other.
It is delicious straight from the oven, but can also be enjoyed at room temperature. If serving warm, prepare the broccolini just before roasting. (It will only take a few minutes!) If serving at room temperature, it can be prepared the day before.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
A simple, tasty side dish can really elevate a meal. Here are some more of our favourite side dish recipes for you to try:
- Rocket and Pear Salad
- Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
- Tomato and Onion Salad
- Our complete collection of Side Dish Recipes.
This simple recipe for Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli (Broccolini) is a favourite of mine, and I hope it will become one of yours too! Be sure to let me know in the comments below when you have given it a try, and what your favourite dish to serve it with is!
Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli (Broccolini)
- 300 g (10.5 oz) tenderstem broccoli/broccolini – approximately 2 bunches
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil See Note 1
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- lemon wedges – to serve (optional)
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C (390 F).
- Line two trays with baking paper.
- Divide the broccolini between two trays, allowing space between each piece. (See Note 2.)
- Drizzle the broccolini with one tablespoon of oil per tray and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the trays in the oven and roast for 13-15 minutes. The tops of the broccolini should be slightly charred, and the stem should be cooked through, but still with a slight bite.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the top and serve with additional lemon wedges.
- In Australia, the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. Please adjust your measurement if necessary.
- The two baking trays allow us to roast the broccolini evenly. Crowding the broccolini will cause them to steam.
Please note, the nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients you use.