These delicious and easy to prepare Jam Bars are going to be your new favourite recipe. They’re so simple! The base and topping are made from the same mixture and they are filled with a delicious jam of your choice. Try them today!
Why we love this recipe:
I love a good sweet treat, and one that comes together this easy? Yes please! The preparation time on these Easy Jam Bars is so quick – the hardest part is waiting for them to cool down once they’re baked!
Like my Belgian Lemon Tea Cake and Caramel Bars, the base and the crumble topping are one and the same. You simply reserve about a quarter of your mixture to crumble over the top. It truly doesn’t get much easier than this.
The best part about these Jam Bars? You can fill them with any jam or preserve you like!
Shopbought jams or preserves are 100% fine, but if you happen to like homemade jam, you could try these recipes and use them in your Jam Bars:
Ingredients in this recipe:
Rolled Oats – use gluten-free oats if required.
Plain/All-Purpose Flour – use gluten-free flour if required.
Jam – your choice of flavour!
Step by Step Instructions:
You’ll need to start by preheating your oven to 175 Degrees C (350 F). Line a 20×20 cm (8×8 inch) tin with baking paper. Spray the baking paper with a little oil. This will stop the slice from sticking.
Then, start the preparation:
- In one bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the sugar. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the sugar, vanilla and melted butter. Mix well.
- Combine both bowls, and mix one more time.
- Press about ¾ of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and immediately spread the jam/preserves evenly over the top.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the dough over the top. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the crumble on the top has cooked through.
Remove the slice and allow to cool for 30 minutes on the bench. Chill in the fridge for a further 30 minutes. Remove from the pan using the overhang of the parchment paper. Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Tips for Success and FAQs:
The Jam Bars must chill before being cut, otherwise they will fall apart. I like to cool them on the bench for 30 minutes, and then transfer to the fridge for 30 minutes. Then, I cut the bars into squares, and enjoy!
If your jam is quite thick, I recommend putting it in a bowl and giving it a good stir – that way, it will become a better consistency to spread onto the base of the bars.
I use gluten-free flour and oats when I make these Jam Bars. Gluten-free oats are more readily available these days, and work perfectly in this recipe.
You sure can! I have tried these with many different kinds, and they have all been delicious. It is hard to choose which flavour I like best!
These freeze really well! Allow the bars to cool completely, and then put them in a sealed container. Allow to defrost in the fridge overnight and bring back to room temperature before consuming.
Store in an airtight container. The bars will be at their best for the first two days but will last for 4 (they will just get a bit soft). I keep them in the pantry, but if the weather is warm, keep them in the fridge. If storing in the fridge, remove at least 10 minutes prior to serving.
Other great recipes for you to try:
Cut up these delicious Easy Jam Bars, and serve on a dessert platter next time you are entertaining!
Here are some other ideas for recipes you can add to a dessert platter:
- Gluten-Free Salted Caramel Slice
- Almond Cookies
- Lemon Madeleines
- Caramel Cookies
- Chocolate Coated Strawberries
- Pecan Puffs
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- Mini Meringues with Berries and Cream
These Easy Jam Bars are sure to become your new favourite sweet treat. I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do, and I look forward to hearing what you think in the comments below!
Easy Jam Bars
- 1 cup (150 g) all purpose/plain flour See Note 1
- 1 cup (80 g) rolled oats See Note 2
- 1 cup jam or preserves See Note 3
- ½ cup (125 g) butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (70 g) brown sugar
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking/bicarb soda
- oil spray
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Preheat your oven to 175 Degrees C (350F).
- Line a 20x20cm (8×8 inch) pan with baking paper. (Allow an overhang – it makes it easier when removing the slice!) Coat the baking paper with some oil spray.
- In one bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, except for the sugar. Mix well.
- Melt your butter. Add this to another bowl, and combine with the vanilla and brown sugar.
- Combine the contents of both bowls, and mix well.
- Firmly press about ¾ of the mixture into the tin. (You'll need to reserve about 100g/a firmly packed ½ cup of mixture).Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and immediately spread over your jam. Crumble the remaining mixture, using your fingers, over the top of the jam.
- Return to the oven, and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the topping is cooked through.
- Remove the slice from the oven, and allow to cool for 30 minutes on your bench.
- Put the slice in the fridge, and chill for a further 30 minutes.Remove the slice from the tin, and cut the slice into squares, and enjoy!
- Use a gluten-free all-purpose/plain flour if you require. (This has been tested, and works perfectly)
- Use gluten-free oats if required.
- Any jam/preserve can be used in this recipe. If your jam is quite thick, give it a quick stir in a bowl before spreading over the base.
- For the most accurate measurements when baking, we suggest you weigh your ingredients.
- When measuring flour, use the spoon and level method. Firmly compacting the flour by scooping the cup into it can cause your measurements to be inaccurate.
- The serving size and nutritional information is based on the bars being cut into 9 and one being enjoyed as a serving.
- The Jam Bars really need to chill before cutting, otherwise, they will fall apart.
Please note, the nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients you use.