Broccoli and Potato Soup is satisfying, smooth and creamy. However, the great advantage of this soup is that it uses potatoes to provide a creamy texture so that no heavy cream is required.
It is quick and easy to make, lovely to eat and extremely nutritious. Made from simple ingredients, it is quick to prepare and you can have it on the table in 40 minutes.
Even if you’re not a fan of broccoli you may enjoy this recipe. Blended to a smooth puree it no longer resembles its raw form and the addition of potatoes, onions, garlic and thyme balance out the broccoli flavours. It has a velvety texture and a mild flavour and you may find that children will also enjoy it.
Make this soup your own. The basic recipe is vegan and gluten-free and delicious as it is. However, if you do not have specific dietary restrictions you can tailor it to your own requirement. If you would like a more creamy soup, drizzle some cream on top or dollop on some Greek yoghurt just before serving. Or you could sprinkle some grated parmesan on top or serve with some pieces of crispy bacon.
Delight in the knowledge that not only does it taste good, it is also good for you.
Xx Alex and Faye
Broccoli and Potato Soup
For the Soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion large, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 500 gm broccoli divided into florets (reserve the stems*)
- 2 potatoes medium, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves *
To Garnish: (optional)
- fresh parsley leaves
- finely grated lemon zest
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.Saute onion about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, but do not let it colour.
- Add garlic, saute about 2 minutes. Be careful it does not burn.
- Add broccoli, potato, vegetable stock and thyme leaves.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring the mixture a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.Remove from the heat and add the parsley leaves.*
- With a hand mixer, or in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth.Reheat in the saucepan, season to taste with salt, and pepper*.
- Add a little finely zested lemon rind and some chopped parsley to the top of each of the bowls.*