For easy entertaining, try my Burrata and Prosciutto Appetiser. It is an elegant plated salad that is easily prepared and full of wonderful flavour. Creamy burrata, salty prosciutto and peppery rocket/arugula make a delicious combination.
Why we love this recipe:
Top chefs advise cooks to take good quality ingredients and prepare them simply. I was inspired by that advice to make this elegant appetiser of Burrata and Prosciutto. Its simple preparation allows the flavours of these ingredients to shine.
I love that the peppery rocket complements the creamy, luxurious burrata. This is balanced by the sweet saltiness of the prosciutto. Simple and satisfying, this is a salad you will want to make often.
You will love this recipe because:
- It is easily prepared.
- Simply prepared dishes such as this take the stress out of entertaining.
- It is a crowd pleaser.
- You will discover the pleasure of using top quality ingredients and letting their flavours shine.
- It is an elegant, luxurious salad which will delight your guests.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Burrata – Burrata is a magnificent fresh, creamy cheese. Burrata originated in Puglia, in the South of Italy. It has a rounded shape, with a shell of fresh mozzarella. It is filled with shreds of mozzarella-style cheese, which have been soaked in cream. When you cut into the mozzarella outer layer, it oozes with shreds of creamy cheese. It is rich, luxurious and utterly delicious!
Prosciutto crudo – a cured Italian ham. Use good quality. My favourite is Prosciutto di Parma from Italy.
Rocket/arugula – adds colour and peppery flavour to the salad and contrasts with the richness of the burrata.
Extra virgin olive oil – from the first pressing of the olives, it adds great flavour and nutritional benefit. It is an essential element in the much-acclaimed Mediterranean diet.
Black pepper – freshly ground for the best flavour.
Balsamic glaze – slightly tangy, slightly sweet, this sticky dressing should be used in moderation to bring the flavours together.
Step by step instructions:
Choose a nice serving platter on which to place your Burrata and Prosciutto.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a medium bowl, add the rocket/arugula leaves and gently toss them in the olive oil to lightly coat them.
- Arrange the leaves on your serving platter.
- Add the torn prosciutto.
- Sit the ball of burrata in the centre of the platter. Add some freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Tips for success and FAQs:
When a dish is as simple as this one, it relies heavily on the quality of the ingredients. They should all be the best that you can buy.
The key to enjoying the Burrata, Rocket and Prosciutto appetiser is to get some of each ingredient in every bite. The flavours harmonise and complement each other perfectly.
In Italian, prosciutto translates as “ham.” There is prosciutto crudo, a ham which is cured, and prosciutto cotto, a cooked ham. We use prosciutto crudo in this recipe.
To best enjoy the flavour, bring the burrata to room temperature and enjoy immediately. There are many ways to use burrata. You can serve it simply, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, with crusty bread or our Easy Spelt Focaccia. Alternatively, serve it, again drizzled with olive oil, with perfectly ripe tomatoes and Crostini. It is also delicious when served with fresh figs or peaches.
You could prepare the separate components a short time ahead and store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the Burrata and Prosciutto. If your burrata comes packed in liquid in a pouch or tub, leave it that way until ready to use. It takes just minutes to assemble.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Easy appetisers are some of our favourites. Perfect for easy entertaining and relaxed evenings, here are some more we love:
- Baked Feta with Olives
- Marinated Parmesan Cheese
- Herbed Bread Dipping Oil
- Whipped Ricotta with Tomatoes
- Prosciutto and Melon
Enjoy this elegant, luxurious Burrata and Prosciutto for a special occasion. It is certain to delight those who share it with you.
Burrata and Prosciutto Appetiser
For accuracy, when weights are provided, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- 2 cups rocket/arugula leaves – washed and dried
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g (3.5 oz) prosciutto di Parma – thinly sliced, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 burrata cheese – (150 g/5 oz approx.) See Notes 1 and 2
- freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- balsamic glaze – to serve
- crostini or fresh, crusty bread
- Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the rocket/arugula leaves to the bowl and gently toss them in the oil to lightly coat them.
- Arrange the rocket/arugula on a serving platter.
- Top with the torn prosciutto.
- Sit the burrata in the centre of the platter.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and drizzle lightly with balsamic glaze.
- Serve immediately with crostini, toasted baguette or crusty bread on the side.
- The burrata that I used weighed 150 g (5 ¼ ounces).
- Remove the burrata from the fridge about 30 minutes before serving as it is best at room temperature.
- Please note, the nutritional information is as estimate only and does not include what the dish is served with.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.