If you are looking for a simple, easily prepared, delicious dessert look no further than this traditional Affogato Recipe. It is a lesson in simplicity which provides maximum reward for minimum effort. No culinary skills are required to produce this crowd-pleaser.
Why we love this recipe:
There are few things that are so simple and yet so deliciously satisfying as this dessert and everyone loves it.
This lesson in simplicity provides a maximum reward for minimum effort and is the perfect solution to the post-meal coffee or dessert dilemma. How clever of the Italians to combine the two!
This Affogato Recipe is a great pick-me-up for summertime. The ice cream/gelato cools you down whilst at the same time you enjoy your shot of hot espresso.
I also like to serve a shot of Frangelico with the ice cream. The nut flavours of Frangelico work extremely well with the ice cream and coffee.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
This simple Affogato Recipe requires just three ingredients:
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Espresso Coffee
- Liqueur of choice (optional)
Step by Step Instructions:
- Place the desired amount of ice-cream/gelato in a chilled café latte glass or similar. Then, pour a shot of hot espresso over the ice-cream.
- If using, pour over a shot glass of your favourite liqueur. Serve immediately and eat with a spoon.
Tips for Success and FAQs:
When ingredients are as few as this, it is essential that they be of good quality. Use a premium quality ice cream/gelato as this is the base of the dessert.
I prefer to chill the ice cream glasses prior to serving to avoid the ice cream melting quickly when adding the coffee.
If you are making these for a crowd, you can prepare the ice cream an hour or two ahead. Just add ice cream/gelato to suitable glasses and store in the freezer. Top with espresso when you are ready to serve.
Although optional, you may like to serve it with a shot of your favourite liqueur.
Espresso coffee is traditional and is preferred. Make the shot just as you are ready to pour it onto the ice cream/gelato. Eat immediately with a spoon.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Our Affogato Recipe is delicious served with our No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream.
For a little sweet to enjoy on the side, you could also serve the Affogato with one of these treats:
- Almond Cookies
- Chilli Chocolate Clusters
- Chocolate Almond Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Bliss Balls
- Chewy Amaretti Cookies
- Cinnamon Sugar Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Pecan Puffs
- Toffee Crisps
I encourage you to try this classic Italian dessert, Affogato. You could spend hours making something more elaborate but I doubt it would be received as enthusiastically as this simple, delicious dessert.
- 2 scoops vanilla bean ice cream/gelato See Note 1
- 1 shot espresso coffee (or very strong plunger coffee) See Note 2
- 1 shot your favourite liqueur – optional
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Place the desired amount of ice-cream in a chilled café latte glass or similar. – see Note 3
- Pour a shot of hot espresso over the ice-cream.If using, pour over a shot glass of your favourite liqueur.Or if you prefer, serve each ingredient separately to your guests for them to add as preferred.
- Serve immediately and eat with a spoon.I like to serve Affogato with a few biscuits on the side for textural contrast.
- Use the best quality ice cream you can buy, or try our delicious No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Espresso is traditional and is preferred. However, you could try plunger coffee, also known as French press coffee. Don’t use instant coffee, it doesn’t have sufficient strength.
- I prefer to chill the ice cream glasses prior to serving to avoid the ice cream melting quickly when adding the coffee.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on one serving. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
Please note, the nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients you use.