If you are looking for a simple, easily prepared, delicious dessert look no further than this traditional Affogato Recipe. It is a lesson in simplicity which provides maximum reward for minimum effort. No culinary skills are required to produce this crowd-pleaser.
Why we love this recipe:
There are few things that are so simple and yet so deliciously satisfying as this dessert and everyone loves it.
This lesson in simplicity provides a maximum reward for minimum effort and is the perfect solution to the post-meal coffee or dessert dilemma. How clever of the Italians to combine the two!
This Affogato Recipe is a great pick-me-up for summertime. The ice cream/gelato cools you down whilst at the same time you enjoy your shot of hot espresso.
I also like to serve a shot of Frangelico with the ice cream. The nut flavours of Frangelico work extremely well with the ice cream and coffee.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
This simple Affogato Recipe requires just three ingredients:
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Espresso Coffee
- Liqueur of choice (optional)
Step by Step Instructions:
- Place the desired amount of ice-cream/gelato in a chilled café latte glass or similar. Then, pour a shot of hot espresso over the ice-cream.
- If using, pour over a shot glass of your favourite liqueur. Serve immediately and eat with a spoon.
Tips for Success and FAQs:
When ingredients are as few as this, it is essential that they be of good quality. Use a premium quality ice cream/gelato as this is the base of the dessert.
I prefer to chill the ice cream glasses prior to serving to avoid the ice cream melting quickly when adding the coffee.
If you are making these for a crowd, you can prepare the ice cream an hour or two ahead. Just add ice cream/gelato to suitable glasses and store in the freezer. Top with espresso when you are ready to serve.
Although optional, you may like to serve it with a shot of your favourite liqueur.
Espresso coffee is traditional and is preferred. Make the shot just as you are ready to pour it onto the ice cream/gelato. Eat immediately with a spoon.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Our Affogato Recipe is delicious served with our No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream.
For a little sweet to enjoy on the side, you could also serve the Affogato with one of these treats:
- Almond Cookies
- Chilli Chocolate Clusters
- Chocolate Almond Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Bliss Balls
- Chewy Amaretti Cookies
- Cinnamon Sugar Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Pecan Puffs
- Toffee Crisps
I encourage you to try this classic Italian dessert, Affogato. You could spend hours making something more elaborate but I doubt it would be received as enthusiastically as this simple, delicious dessert.
- 2 scoops vanilla bean ice cream/gelato See Note 1
- 1 shot espresso coffee (or very strong plunger coffee) See Note 2
- 1 shot your favourite liqueur – optional
- Place the desired amount of ice-cream in a chilled café latte glass or similar. – see Note 3
- Pour a shot of hot espresso over the ice-cream.If using, pour over a shot glass of your favourite liqueur.Or if you prefer, serve each ingredient separately to your guests for them to add as preferred.
- Serve immediately and eat with a spoon.I like to serve Affogato with a few biscuits on the side for textural contrast.
- Use the best quality ice cream you can buy, or try our delicious No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Espresso is traditional and is preferred. However, you could try plunger coffee, also known as French press coffee. Don’t use instant coffee, it doesn’t have sufficient strength.
- I prefer to chill the ice cream glasses prior to serving to avoid the ice cream melting quickly when adding the coffee.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on one serving. The nutritional information is an estimate only.