Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
Enjoy a comforting and warming bowl of soup. Adding some spices lends a lovely flavour to this Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup.
Servings 4 people
- 2 brown/yellow onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 550 gm pumpkin See Note 1 and 3
- 550 gm sweet potato See Note 1 and 2
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- coconut cream, drizzled on top optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Peel and cut pumpkin and sweet potato into small cubes. Finely slice onions.
Sweat onions in the oil for a couple of minutes.
Add sweet potato and pumpkin, and the spices. Stir until well coated. Cook for 1 minute.
Add vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Using an immersion blender or similar, blend soup until smooth.
Make sure the consistency is to your liking - add a little extra stock or water to thin the soup out if you wish.
Drizzle with coconut cream. Serve with garnish of your choice. (Eg: fresh herbs)
- This is the weight once you have peeled and chopped the pumpkin and sweet potato.
- If you are not using sweet potato, add less stock, as you'll lose the extra starch the potato provides.
- I use either butternut or Jap in this recipe, but other types of pumpkin work.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 1007mg | Potassium: 914mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 23200IU | Vitamin C: 16.2mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 4.1mg