Gluten-Free Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
My Gluten-Free Chocolate Sour Cream Cake will be one of the easiest cakes that you ever make. The texture is rich, moist and luxurious, in no way revealing how easy it is to make. It is a delicious cake that is certain to become a household favourite. Enjoy it with tea or coffee or dress it up with whipped cream and berries for special occasions.
Servings 8 people
- 1 cup (220 g) caster/superfine sugar
- 1 cup (150 g) gluten-free plain/all-purpose flour See Note 1
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Dutch Process cocoa powder See Notes 2 and 3
- 1 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate of soda See Note 4
- 1 tsp vanilla extract See Note 5
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (240 g) full fat sour cream
Preheat your oven to 180 Degrees C (355 F).
Line the base of a 9” (23cm) round spring-form tin with baking paper, and grease the sides.
Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer or place them in a bowl and use a hand held electric mixer. Mix them all together until the batter is smooth, but do not over beat.
Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. A few crumbs are okay but there should not be any batter.
Place the tin on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove the side of the cake tin. Cool a further 10 minutes before carefully removing the cake to the rack to further cool.
Dust with icing sugar/confectioners’ sugar and serve as is or with whipped cream, mascarpone or crème fraiche and berries.
- Our gluten-free flour blends contain either xanthan or guar gum to stabilise and provide structure to our recipes. If your flour blend already contains either of these gums, there is no need to add more. If you don’t need to make these gluten-free, you can use regular plain/all-purpose flour.
- Use a good quality, unsweetened cocoa. I use Plaistowe Dutch Processed Cocoa, available in supermarkets. It gives the cake a lovely, rich, chocolatey colour.
- The Australian tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. You may have to adjust your measurements accordingly.
- This is not the same as baking powder. Be sure to use baking soda.
- For the best flavour, use vanilla extract/essence which has been naturally extracted from the vanilla bean and not one which is synthetically flavoured.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on the cake being sliced into 8 pieces. It does not include what the cake is served with. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 94mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 213IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1mg