Easy Mulled Wine
It is so easy to make your own Mulled Wine. Simply combine red wine with some spices and aromatics and heat over low heat to properly infuse.
Servings 5 drinks
- 1 bottle of red wine (750 ml) See Note 1
- 1 orange - sliced
- ½ lemon - peel only
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 ½ tablespoon honey or maple syrup - or more to taste See Notes 2 and 3
- 2 tablespoon brandy - optional See Note 3
- a small slice of orange, whole star anise and cinnamon stick - optional
Pour the wine into a medium-sized saucepan together with the orange slices, lemon zest, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, star anise and honey.
Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
Turn the heat down, give a stir, then very gently simmer for 10 minutes.
Halfway through, taste for sweetness, adding a little extra honey if you prefer it sweeter.
Take off the heat and add the brandy, if using.
Pass through a sieve to catch the spices and orange and lemon zest.
Serve warm in heatproof glasses.
- You don’t have to buy an expensive bottle of red wine. A full bodied basic red wine is ideal. Choose something that you enjoy drinking.
- You can use more honey, to taste. We use honey, as it dissolves easier than sugar. You could also use Maple Syrup if you prefer.
- In Australia, the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. Please adjust the measurement if necessary.
- Use whole spices, and then pass the mulled wine through a sieve. Ground spices leave a grittiness in the mulled wine.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on the Mulled Wine serving five people. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg