Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Lovers of chocolate will be delighted with this easily made Vegan Chocolate Frosting. It is rich, creamy and glossy without needing to use any dairy.
Servings 1 cup
- 1 ½ tablespoon vegan margarine (I used Nuttelex) See Note 1
- ¼ cup (30 g) unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa See Note 2 and 3
- 2 ¼ cup (270 g) icing/confectioners' sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon boiling water See Note 1
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine cocoa and icing sugar. Add the margarine and vanilla.
Pour 1 tablespoon of boiling water onto the margarine and mix well. You may not need all the water so add one tablespoon at a time, until you get a smooth spreading consistency.
Spread or pipe the frosting on top of cooled cupcakes or a cake.
- The Australian tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons so you may have to adjust your measurements accordingly.
- I use Plaistowe Dutch Processes Cocoa, available in supermarkets. It gives a lovely rich, chocolatey colour and deep flavour.
- It is best to sift your cocoa as it may have formed clumps.
- The recipe makes approximately one cup of frosting. We use it to frost 10 cupcakes or an 8 inch cake. You can easily double the recipe to make more if you wish.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on the entire quantity of this recipe.
Calories: 1234kcal | Carbohydrates: 282g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 147mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 265g | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 3mg