Baked Feta with Olives and Rosemary
Baked Feta with Olives and Rosemary is an appetiser that everyone will love! This Mediterranean dish has feta, baked to perfection with fresh herbs, chilli and aromatic citrus peels, all doused in extra virgin olive oil. What’s more, it is quickly and easily prepared. It takes just 10 minutes (or less) to place the ingredients in an oven-proof dish and then 20 minutes to bake in the oven.
Servings 4 people
- 200 g (9 ounces) Danish feta cheese See Note 1
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil - extra virgin See Note 2
- 3 strips orange rind See Note 3
- 3 strips lemon rind See Note 3
- 1 tbsp (20 ml) lemon juice See Note 4
- 1 cup mixed olives See Note 5
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves See Note 4 and 6
- 1 long red chilli See Note 7
- Sheep milk feta is traditional, but you can use the feta of your choice. Personally, I like the creaminess of Danish feta.
- If you enjoy soaking up flavour-filled olive oil with crusty bread, use a little extra oil.
- Wash the orange and lemon well as you will be using some of the skin. Reserve the orange for another use. Enjoy the fruit, or make it into juice.
- In Australia, the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. You may need to adjust your quantities accordingly.
- For general use, I prefer olives with pits as I believe they have a better flavour. However, you may prefer to use pitted olives with the Baked Feta. If not, please be sure to warn your guests of the pits.
- I like to use fragrant rosemary, but you could use fresh thyme or dried oregano.
- Use chilli flakes if you prefer, or omit them and use freshly ground black pepper.
- You will serve the baked feta in the same dish.
- If you require a dish that’s gluten-free, serve the feta with some gluten-free crackers.
- Feta is packed in salt brine so there’s no need to add any extra.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on this dish serving four people as an appetiser. It does not include what the dish is served with. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 1084mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 387IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 269mg | Iron: 1mg