Grilled Zucchini Hummus
This smooth and creamy Grilled Zucchini Hummus is a delicately flavoured, easy to prepare dip. A classic hummus recipe is made even more delicious with the addition of the slightly charred, smokey zucchini.
Servings 4 people
- 400 g zucchini (approximately 2 medium sized)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 425 g (15 oz) can of chickpeas See Note 1
- 1 small clove garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed) See Note 2
- 3 tbsp hulled tahini (well stirred) See Note 2 and 3
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt flakes to taste
To Garnish (Optional):
- crispy chickpeas
- drizzle of oil
- cayenne pepper
To Prepare the Hummus:
Drain the chickpeas in a sieve, over a bowl. Do not discard the chickpea liquid. (See Note 1)
Add the chickpeas, grilled zucchini and remaining ingredients to the bowl of a high-speed blender.
Blend until smooth. Check your seasoning and adjust accordingly - you may need more salt and lemon juice.
If the mixture is too thick, add a little of the reserved chickpea liquid.
Serve in a bowl, topped with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper. Some crispy chickpeas also add a nice touch.
- If your Hummus is too thick, add some of the reserved chickpea water. If you have already discarded this, water is also fine.
- In Australia, the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. You may have to adjust your measurements accordingly.
- Tahini is a sesame paste, available in all major supermarkets. You may find with some brands of tahini that it has separated. There will be thick paste on the bottom of the jar and a fair degree of oil on the top. You will need to stir these two together to form a smooth paste.
- The nutritional information is based on the dip being enjoyed as four servings. It does not include what the dip is served with.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 308mg | Potassium: 486mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 216IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 3mg