Classic Key Lime Pie
One of my favourite desserts is Key Lime Pie. There is a reason that this beloved American classic is so popular. There is nothing quite like a slice of this luscious dessert; the filling is tart and not too sweet with an irresistible creaminess which is offset by the crisp, biscuit crumb crust. This pie will become a family favourite and you will love that it is so easy to make.
Servings 8 people
- 250 g plain sweet biscuits See Note 1
- 80 g melted butter
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks See Note 2
- 1/2 cup lime juice, strained See Note 3
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, strained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional) See Note 4
- 1 tsp icing/confectioners' sugar
- fresh lime slices - to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees C (350F).
Place the biscuits in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.Add the melted butter to the biscuit crumbs and process until well combined.
You will need a 9” / 23 cm pie plate.Tip the biscuit and butter mixture into the pie plate. Using the back of a dessert spoon, or the base of a flat-bottomed glass, press the mixture over the base and up the side of the pie plate. Place the pie crust into the pre-heated oven and bake until golden, about 8-10 minutes.Remove the crust from the oven and set aside to cool completely. This will take about 15 minutes.
- As alternatives, you could use Graham Crackers or gluten-free biscuits.
- In the main text I have suggestions for ways to use the leftover egg whites.
- I only use freshly squeezed lime juice as the flavour is brighter and fresher. Bottled lime juice lacks the bright, zesty flavour of fresh lime juice. Furthermore, the bottled variety often contains a preservative.
- In Australia, heavy cream, which is also known as thickened cream or whipping cream, has 35% milk fat.
- In Australia the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. This means you may have to adjust your measurement. In essence, my measure for lemon juice is 6 teaspoons.
Calories: 447kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 263mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 731IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 173mg | Iron: 1mg