Radish, Feta and Cucumber Salad
There is a range of delicious, contrasting flavours and textures in this lovely salad. Cool cucumbers perfectly complement spicy radishes whilst sliced pear adds sweetness. The roasted walnuts add crunch and creamy feta brings all the ingredients together. This light, refreshing salad is easy to make and is ideal as a side dish or light, nutritious lunch.
Servings 4 people
- 50 g rocket/arugula leaves
- 4 small round red radishes
- 2 watermelon radishes
- 1/3 English cucumber See Note 1
- 1/2 pear, cored See Note 2
- 80 g feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnuts See Note 3
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Arrange the rocket/arugula leaves on a large white platter.
Using a mandoline or very sharp knife, slice the radishes, cucumber and pear very thinly. Arrange the sliced fruit and vegetables on the top of the rocket/arugula. Scatter the crumbled feta and roasted walnuts on the top of the salad.
Now that your salad is arranged on the plate, prepare the dressing in a small bowl or jar.
Season the salad with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle on the dressing just prior to serving. – See Note 4
- The English cucumber is also known as a burpless, seedless or European cucumber. I have used this variety as it has fewer seeds than some varieties, the flesh is sweeter and it does not need to be peeled.
- For the best flavour and texture the pear should be just ripe but still firm.
- For extra flavour and crispiness I have used my Salt and Pepper Roasted Walnuts.
- For the freshest presentation and flavour, the salad should be assembled close to serving time. If assembled early the pear will discolour and the rocket will wilt. The seasoning and the dressing should be added just before serving.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 270mg | Potassium: 393mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 407IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 1mg