Crispy Baked Parmesan Tomatoes
I think that “crispy” may be one of my favourite words and I am fairly sure that most people will agree with me. These quick and easy vegetarian baked tomatoes are perfect as a side dish. Just a few simple ingredients transform tomatoes into an elegant, flavoursome side dish. I top ripe, juicy tomatoes with crispy breadcrumbs, full of the flavours of garlic, parmesan and dried oregano. They bake to crispy perfection which the entire family will enjoy.
Servings 6 people
- 6 tomatoes See Note 1
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
Preheat your oven to 180 Degrees C (350 F).Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally.
Using a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds.
On a plate lined with a paper towel, place the halved tomatoes upsidedown to drain excess moisture.
In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients, except for the fresh basil.
Line a baking dish or tray with baking paper. Fill the tomatoes evenly with the breadcrumb mixture, patting down slightly to compact. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked. (If you are making in advance, I would bake for 15 minutes and then reheat when required).
Garnish with fresh basil, and enjoy!
- My tomatoes were approximately 6-7 cm.
- Serving size is based on one tomato per person.
- The tomatoes can be prepared in advance - I would cook for slightly less, to allow for reheating.
- If you require this dish to be vegetarian, ensure you use an alternative to Parmesan Cheese.
- If you require this dish to be gluten-free, use breadcrumbs that are free from gluten.
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 326mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1155IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 235mg | Iron: 1mg