These easy, gluten-free pea and mint fritters make a delicious vegetarian appetiser or main meal. There is no better herb to pair with peas than the wonderfully fresh flavour of mint; in addition to that combination, some salty feta adds a welcome creaminess to every bite.
Golden and crunchy, most people will love these fritters. The exterior has a delicate, golden crispness and the interior is soft and tender.
The fritters are very easy to make. Firstly, prepare a simple batter with flour, eggs and milk, into which you add the remaining ingredients. To provide textural contrast, mash some of the peas and leave some whole. If you have children who don’t like texture, just mash them all.
Wonderfully simple but deliciously satisfying, you can serve them for brunch, as an appetiser with a dipping sauce, as a side to meat or poultry, or with a salad for a light meal. Additionally, they are wonderful finger food to serve to young children.
In just over a half hour you can have these fritters on the table. If you are serving them with a dipping sauce, our homemade Sweet Chilli Sauce is a great accompaniment.
Looking for something delicious to serve our fritters with? Try our Charred Corn and Black Bean Salad.
Please let me know in the comments below if you make the fritters.
Xx Alex and Faye
Pea and Mint Fritters
- 2/3 cup self raising flour I used Orgran Gluten Free
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen peas thawed
- 200 gm feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 4 spring/green onions thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil slightly more if necessary
- Make a batter by sifting flour into a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk milk and eggs together in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to flour and whisk until smooth.
- Place the peas in a bowl and mash about half of them. Add peas, feta, mint and onion to the batter. Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Dollop 4 heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the frying pan and flatten slightly with the back of the spoon. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are golden-brown.
- Drain on paper towel. *
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding extra oil if required.