I am confident that you will love these Easy Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies. They are a breeze to make and you do not require any special equipment. Just add all the ingredients to one bowl and mix them together. Could it be simpler?
Why we love this recipe:
These cookies do not contain butter or flour which makes them ideal for people who follow a gluten/dairy-free diet.
You are in control of the quality of the ingredients that you use so there need not be any unnecessary preservatives or additives.
This is an ideal recipe to make with children. There is just some stirring and then rolling the mixture into balls. They will love to help.
No special equipment is required – you use just one bowl and a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to combine the ingredients.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Peanut butter – I like to use natural peanut butter. Some brands are mixed with oils of unknown origin, whereas natural peanut butter, of course, contains only the natural peanut oils. As well, some contain “Antioxidant 320”, which is banned in some countries. I was shocked to discover that it is derived from petroleum!
I like to use crunchy peanut butter as it gives the cookies a little more texture. However, you can use smooth if you prefer.
Brown sugar – I like to use brown sugar, it adds a slight caramel flavour.
Egg – for ethical reasons I prefer to use a free-range egg.
Vanilla – always use good quality, naturally derived, vanilla extract. It is superior to the varieties which are synthetically produced.
Chocolate – I sometimes drizzle melted chocolates across the cookies. Chocolate and Peanut Butter go very well together but this addition is optional.
Step by step instructions:
Prepare your baking sheets and pre-heat your oven.
- Add all the ingredients to a medium size bowl.
- Mix together until well combined.
Set the bowl aside for about 10 minutes – this will allow the dough to firm up and make it easier for rolling into balls.
- Remove some dough with a teaspoon and roll into balls about 2 ½ cm/1 inch in diameter.
- Place them onto the prepared baking tray.
- Use the tines of a fork to lightly flatten the cookie and make a cross-hatch pattern.
- Bake until lightly golden brown.
Tips for success and FAQs:
I know you can’t wait to eat these Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies, but it really is important to set the mixture aside for about 10 minutes to allow it to firm up. This will mean that it is easier to roll into balls. The high oil content of the peanut butter means the dough will not stick to your hands.
Do not leave the cookies in the oven too long. They are ready when the edges appear light brown. It may be best to remove the tray from the oven so you can clearly see the edges. If they over bake, they will become dry and crumbly.
Some further patience is now required. They smell fantastic and are so tempting but they must be cooled before they’re eaten or they will crumble in your hand – I know from experience.
Sprinkle a little sea salt or drizzle the cookies with melted chocolate – delicious!
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Enjoy peanut butter as much as we do? Give our other delicious peanut butter recipes a try.
And if you’re after some more simple cookie recipes, try these – they’re also all gluten-free:
- Dairy Free Almond Cookies
- Chewy Amaretti Cookies
- Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Caramel Cookies
- Chocolate Almond Cookies
I do hope that you will try this recipe. These Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies are quick and easy and are ideal to make with children. Enjoy!!
This post was originally published in August 2018. It has been updated with new photos and more information. The recipe remains the same.
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
For accuracy, when weights are provided, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (crunchy or smooth) See Note 1
- ¾ cup brown sugar – firmly packed
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract See Note 2
- melted chocolate for drizzling
- sea salt flakes
- Preheat your oven to 180 Degrees C (350 F).Line two rimmed baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- Place all the ingredients into a medium sized bowl and thoroughly mix them together.Set the bowl aside for 10 minutes to firm the dough. See Note 3.
- Remove some dough with a teaspoon and roll with your hands into balls about 2 ½ cm (1”) diameter and place them onto prepared baking sheets. – see Note 4. Lightly press tops of cookies with the tines of a fork, flattening them a little and making a crosshatch pattern.
- Put both trays in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, swapping the trays halfway through, until the cookies are a light golden brown on the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on the tray for about 10 minutes, and then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 – 5 days.
- I use a natural peanut butter, either crunchy or smooth, to avoid those with unwanted additives. Natural peanut butter frequently has a layer of oil on the top and this will need to be mixed in well before measuring out for the cookies.
- Use good quality vanilla extract which is naturally derived. The flavour is superior to one which is synthetically produced.
- It is important that the mixture rests for about 10 minutes as it makes it easier to roll into balls.
- You could use a small ice cream scoop to shape the dough into balls.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on one cookie. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.