It doesn’t get any easier than these Cucumber Salmon Bites. These little appetisers are as delicious as they are pretty. Slices of crispy, crunchy, refreshing cucumber are topped with a lemon and dill cream cheese mixture and slices of smoky salmon. They are always popular at a drinks party and welcomed as a light start before dinner.
Why we love this recipe:
When you don’t have time to cook, or it’s too hot to turn the stove on, these little bites are ideal. They come together quickly, they look pretty and they taste great. They are light and refreshing, balancing the often-heavier food which you will be serving.
It’s easy to transform crisp, crunchy, refreshing cucumber slices into these little bites. Despite the ease with which these Salmon Bites are prepared, they are an elegant appetiser, suitable for all occasions.
When entertaining, it’s important to reduce stress, as much as possible, and this means easily prepared food. These little Cucumber Salmon Bites are perfect; you can prepare the ingredients in advance and assemble them shortly before serving.
As well, they will suit many people with dietary restrictions as they are gluten-free and low carb.
I love small bites of food. In fact, I often think they are more appealing than the main meal. When I’m entertaining, I love to have a variety of small bites so my guests can try different things.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Cucumber – choose a long, slender cucumber such as the English cucumber. It’s also known as a seedless cucumber.
Cream cheese – I use full fat cream cheese at room temperature for easy mixing.
Lemon zest and juice – the fresh zest and juice add brightness which perfectly complements the smoked salmon.
Fresh dill – dill has feathery, green leaves with an anise-type flavour. It is an ideal accompaniment to the smoked salmon and cream cheese. I use some in the cream cheese mixture and some sprigs for garnish.
Black pepper – for the best flavour, use freshly ground black pepper. Pre-ground black pepper tends to taste dull.
Smoked salmon – I use cold smoked salmon, the type found in the flat, vacuum-sealed packs at the supermarket.
Step by Step Instructions:
1. To begin, trim the ends from the cucumber and cut crossways in slices.
2. Place them on paper towel and pat dry.
3. Add the cream cheese to a medium size bowl. With a fork, mix the cream cheese until it is smooth and creamy. Add the chopped dill, lemon zest, juice and freshly ground black pepper to the cream cheese. Mix well and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
4. Cut the slices of smoked salmon into strips.
Then, simply assemble your Cucumber Salmon Bites, and enjoy!
Tips for Success and FAQs:
These little Salmon Cucumber Bites are extremely versatile. Serve them at a cocktail party, a dinner party, around the barbecue, take to potlucks (they travel well) or make a few for a snack.
If serving finger foods, these are ideal and using cucumber as a base instead of bread makes them a great low-carb addition to your canapes.
No, you don’t need to peel the cucumbers, the skin adds nice colour contrast. However, you can if you want to. Alternatively, you could peel alternate strips off the cucumber to create a striped effect.
Yes, you can prepare the separate components ahead of time, but it is best to assemble them just before serving as the cucumbers will release moisture and they will become soggy. If you’d like to get ahead, here are a few things you can do:
Make the cream cheese mixture, slice the cucumber, cut the smoked salmon into serving pieces. Wash, dry and prepare the dill – do not chop it ahead. Store the separate components in airtight containers in the fridge. You can prepare them a day ahead.
A long, slender variety of cucumber, such as an English cucumber, is best for these appetisers. Firmness is the best indicator of freshness. The skin should be a rich, deep green; avoid those that are limp or wrinkled.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Here are some more of our favourite recipes using cucumbers:
- Bread and Butter Pickles
- Infused Water Recipes
- Spicy Cucumber Pickles
- Smoked Salmon Wreath
- Radish, Feta and Cucumber Salad
- Thai Chicken Larb
- Dill Pickled Cucumbers
Enjoy these Cucumber Salmon Bites. I would love to know when you try them – let me know in the comments below!
Cucumber Salmon Bites
- 1 long English cucumber See Note 1
- ½ cup (120 g) cream cheese – full fat at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest – freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice – freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped See Note 3
- 150 g (5.25 ounces) smoked salmon See Note 4
- dill sprigs – for garnish
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Wash and dry the cucumber and remove both ends. Cut into slices approximately ⅔ cm (¼ inch) thick.
- Pat the cucumber slices dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add cream cheese to a medium-size bowl. Mix well with a fork until smooth.
- Add lemon zest, juice, chopped dill and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until well combined. Check that the seasoning is to your taste. Depending on the cream cheese that you use, you may need to add some sea salt.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture onto each cucumber slice.
- Cut the slices of smoked salmon into strips approximately 1 ¼ cm (½ inch) wide and 12 ½ cm (5 inches) in length. Roll the salmon strips into a rose shape and place on top of the cream cheese mixture. Garnish with a dill sprig. Assemble the Cucumber Salmon Bites on a platter and serve – see Note 5.
- A long, slender cucumber, such as an English cucumber is ideal. Mine was about 23 cm/ 9 inches in length.
- Add the dill according to your taste. Use less if you prefer.
- Check the seasoning and add extra lemon, dill, freshly ground pepper and a few sea salt flakes if necessary.
- I have used sliced cold-smoked salmon.
- You can assemble the Cucumber Salmon Bites about an hour in advance. If you assemble them too far ahead, the cucumber will release moisture and they may become soggy. It is best to prepare each component separately (sliced cucumber, cream cheese mixture, washed dill and sliced salmon) and store in the refrigerator in airtight containers. You can do this a day ahead and assemble them just before serving. Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to serving.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on one cucumber bite (and not per serving).
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
Amazing recipe! This was such a great low carb appetizer that’s healthy, delicious, and easy to make! I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. That’s such a great tip to pat the cucumbers dry. It really helped the topping adhere to the cucumber. Thank you!
Hi Felicia, thank you for your lovely comments regarding our Cucumber Salmon Bites. I am delighted that you enjoyed this very easy appetiser. 🙂
My new snack! Yum!
These little bites are such a great idea Alex! I love smoked salmon especially on cucumber. Refreshing and tasty!
Thank you so much, Christie!
Katherine | Love In My Oven
What a perfect little appetizer, Alex! These are fantastic. I think cucumber and salmon is the best combo. Now I”m craving some!
Hey Katherine! I agree – such a great combo! Enjoy 🙂
These cucumber salmon bites are a new favorite. I love that they are low carb and secretly healthy. They make a great lunch or appetizer!
Thanks, Sue!! I am so pleased you enjoy them as much as we do 🙂
Helen @ family-friends-food.com
These are so pretty and such a great combination of flavours. Perfect easy canapés for parties. Thanks!
Thank you, Helen!
Great recipe with smokey salmon flavour that pairs well with a dry red wine.
Hi Doug, I am so pleased that you enjoyed the Cucumber Salmon Bites. Thank you for letting me know .:)
Easy and delicious looking cucumber salmon bites are perfect to be served as starter or an appetizer. Loved it’s simple yet super flavours.
Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed!
I agree – these cucumber salmon bites are too easy not to try them. They’re very tasty, too!
Thank you, Mirlene!
These are adorable and delicious – and perfect for the holidays and small family get-togethers!
Thank you so much! 🙂