My Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit will add warmth and vibrant flavours to your breakfast. It contains just 3 ingredients and is quickly and easily made. Grilling/broiling the grapefruit caramelises the brown sugar and enhances their natural juiciness.
Why we love this recipe:
You may wonder why anyone would want to cook grapefruit when a halved grapefruit is already delicious for breakfast. Well, I assure you; if you like them already, they are even better when cooked. The grilling/broiling makes them sweeter and juicier, raising them to another level of delicious.
It is so easy! Just sprinkle half a grapefruit with a little brown sugar and some powdered cinnamon. Place it under the grill/broiler for a few minutes. The sugar will bubble and caramelise, the grapefruit release its juices, they combine and melt a little into the fruit. Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit are so delicious!
This is one retro dish that has stood the test of time. It was a popular appetiser in the 60s, often served at dinner parties with a glace cherry in the centre.
Grapefruit has many health benefits. It aids digestion so it is a great way to start the day. It contains generous amounts of vitamins A and C and is a great source of health-benefiting antioxidants along with potassium and magnesium. As well, one half a grapefruit counts as one of your five-a-day!
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Grapefruit – there are several varieties to choose from. In general, the white flesh variety is the least sweet and sweetness increases with pink and through to red varieties. Any variety will work for the Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit.
Brown sugar – we use light brown sugar which caramelises beautifully under the grill.
Cinnamon – adds a gentle, sweetly spicy note.
Step by Step Instructions:
1. To begin, pre-heat your grill/broiler and place your oven rack close to the top of the oven. Cut the grapefruit in half crossways. Using a small, sharp paring knife or a grapefruit knife cut around the edge of the fruit to loosen the fruit from the pith.
2. With the same knife, cut through grapefruit segments to release them, but don’t cut all the way through the skin.
3. Place the grapefruit halves onto a foil-lined baking tray. If the halved fruit does not sit flat, remove a small amount of peel from the base. Top each grapefruit half with some brown sugar. Sprinkle each piece of fruit with a little powdered cinnamon.
4. Put the baking tray in the oven under the grill/broiler. Grill for approximately 7 minutes or until the sugar has caramelised and is golden brown. Grills/broilers vary a lot so keep an eye on the grapefruit to make sure that they don’t burn. Cool for a minute before serving to avoid being burnt by the hot sugar.
Tips for Success and FAQs:
I recommend that you loosen the grapefruit segments before grilling them. It is easier than trying to remove the segments from hot fruit.
To make cleaning up easier I suggest that you line your baking tray with aluminium foil.
Look for round, smooth fruit that is plump and firm, with a light sheen. Avoid any with bruises. Choose those that feel heavy for their size as they will be the juiciest. The fruits that are puffy or soft or pointed at the stem end tend to be of inferior quality.
Yes, the grapefruit are delicious with honey or maple syrup.
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Our Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit is a fantastic addition to a breakfast spread. Here are some more of our favourite ideas:
- Bacon and Egg Galettes
- Overnight Oats with Apple and Sultanas
- Gluten-Free Zucchini Muffins
- Pea and Mint Frittata
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Oat and Yoghurt Pancakes
Whether you are new to eating grapefruit, or a lover of it like us, be sure to try this delicious Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit. Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit
- 2 grapefruit See Note 1
- 3 tablespoon light brown sugar See Note 2
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Preheat your grill/broiler to its highest setting and place your oven rack close to the top of the oven. Cut the grapefruit in half crossways. Using a small, sharp paring knife or a grapefruit knife cut around the edge of the fruit to loosen the fruit from the pith.
- With the same knife, cut through grapefruit segments to release them, but don’t cut all the way through the skin.
- Place the grapefruit halves onto a foil-lined baking tray. If the halved fruit does not sit flat, remove a small amount of peel from the base.
- Top each grapefruit half with 3 teaspoons of light brown sugar. Use more or less to suit your taste.
- Sprinkle each piece of fruit with a little powdered cinnamon if using.
- Put the baking tray in the oven under the grill/broiler. Grill for approximately 7 minutes or until the sugar has caramelised and is golden brown. Grills/broilers vary a lot so keep an eye on the grapefruit to make sure that they don’t burn. Cool for a minute before serving to avoid being burnt by the hot sugar.
- Transfer to individual serving plates, garnish with a mint sprig if you wish.
- If you like to eat grapefruit and you take medication, please talk with your doctor or pharmacist about the possible interactions with any of the medicines you take.
- The Australian tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. You may have to adjust your measurements accordingly.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on ½ grapefruit per person.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
I’ve never had grapefruit like this before. But, wow, did it hit all the right notes. It’s the perfect way to start the day!
That is great, Kerri – thank you so much for letting me know!
This Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit is mouthwatering!
Thank you, Dennis!
This is such a simple and delicious idea! I love grapefruit so much but never thought of grilling it and adding cinnamon!
Hi Christie, I am so pleased that you like the Cinnamon Grilled Grapefruit. It really is a lovely way to start breakfast. 🙂
I love grapefruit for breakfast in the summer, but by grilling it you make it possible to enjoy in the winter months too! Delicious!
I am so glad you like this, Robyn!
Heidi | The Frugal Girls
Yum, I’ve never thought to grill my grapefruit! I’ve got some grapefruit growing in the backyard right now that would be so so good prepared this way.
Heidi, how fantastic to grow your own grapefruit! They would be so delicious prepared this way. 🙂
The cinnamom grilled grapefruit is so delicious.
Thank you so much!
I love grapefruit and this recipe makes it even better. The cinnamon and sugar grilled on top is so amazing!
I am so pleased you enjoyed it, Emily!
Amanda Marie Boyle
this recipe is amazing! I’m not generally a fan of grapefruit, but I am a fan of grilling and I love this recipe!
Thank you, Amanda! I am so glad you enjoyed it!
Grilled grapefruit is so unique but sounds delicious! Why didn’t I try this before? Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I am so glad you have been able to try it now, Akiko! Thank you so much 🙂
How delicious, it has been since I’ve had grapefruit for breakfast. Thanks for the tips on picking the best grapefruit.
Hi Sarah, I am so pleased that you like the Grilled Grapefruit. It is such a simple recipe but has fantastic flavour. 🙂