With just four ingredients, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites are a tasty, healthy sweet treat that is easily prepared. Satisfy your sweet cravings with these delicious bites.
Why we love this recipe:
I will definitely be the first to admit that I have a bit of a sweet tooth. Sometimes, I just want a healthy treat that will still curb those sweet cravings but won’t have me reaching for the biscuit jar or chocolate box.
These Chocolate Banana Bites are perfect for those times!
They are made from just four ingredients, some of which you may already have on hand in your pantry.
Ingredients in this recipe:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
These four ingredients have some great health benefits which we have listed below!
Bananas – contain many different vitamins and are a good source of fibre. Also great when you need a snack on the run, and will keep you satisfied longer. Bananas are great in preparations such as Banana Blondies or Banana Smoothies!
Dark Chocolate – is high in antioxidants, and may improve your brain function and lower blood pressure. It will help curb your sweet cravings, so it is perfect in these Chocolate Banana Bites! Dark chocolate is great to use in baking or dessert recipes such as our Chocolate Raspberry Brownies or Vegan Chocolate Mousse.
Coconut Oil – a healthy saturated fat, can boost your immune system and is thought to aid in healing many ailments. It also has a myriad of other uses, such as it is great for your hair and skin!
Peanut Butter – a good source of protein and high in vitamins. Ensure your peanut butter is natural and does not contain “Antioxidant 320”. Research has shown this is actually banned in some countries, as it is derived from petroleum! Like coconut oil, we use peanut butter in our Vegan Peanut Butter Freezer Fudge.
Step by Step Instructions:
You’ll need to start by lining a baking tray with baking paper. This saves on cleanup, and stops the Chocolate Banana Bites from sticking!
Tips for Success and FAQs:
I like to prepare them a few hours before I need them, so they’re a great sweet treat when you’re entertaining!
The Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites are best enjoyed within the first 24 hours, but I find it hard to believe they will last in your fridge for longer than that! They’re perfect for when you’re looking for a sweet treat that won’t leave you feeling guilty.
If you would like to keep them for longer – pop them in the freezer!
Be sure to use a good quality dark chocolate.
Absolutely! I have tried this also with almond and cashew butter – both delicious!
Make sure your banana is firm, and not overripe – save your overripe bananas for baking!
More delicious recipes for you to try:
Looking for some more snack ideas that are healthy? Give these recipes a try:
- Tamari Roasted Pepitas
- Soy Roasted Almonds
- Spicy Roasted Almonds
- Salt and Pepper Walnuts
- Roasted Mediterranean Olives
- Mixed Seed Crackers
- Salted Caramel Bliss Balls
- Chocolate Mint Bliss Balls
I would love to know your thoughts on these Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites. Let me know in the comments below when you have given them a try.
This post was originally published in August 2019. It has been updated with new photos and more information. The recipe remains the same.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- 1 large banana See Note 1
- ¼ cup peanut butter See Note 2
- 150 g (6 ounces) dark chocolate See Note 3
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
For accuracy, we recommend weighing your ingredients. This will produce the best results.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice a banana on the diagonal (more surface area). I slice the banana about 1cm thick (roughly ½ an inch).Place the banana slices on the baking tray.
- Top the banana slices with the peanut butter.Chill in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Break the chocolate into even size pieces and place into a heat-proof bowl, along with the coconut oil.Place the bowl over the saucepan of barely simmering water, ensuring that the bowl does not touch the water and steam does not get into the chocolate. If it does, the chocolate will become thick and grainy. I cannot stress enough the importance of not letting water get into the chocolate.Stir the chocolate occasionally with a metal spoon. Remove the bowl from the heat when most of the chocolate has melted. The residual heat will melt the remainder. Stir until smooth.Alternatively: Melt chocolate in the microwave.
- Dip the banana slices in the chocolate – be gentle. Use a fork to manoeuvre. Place the coated slices back on the baking paper lined tray.Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes, or until the chocolate has set.
- Enjoy that day, or if you'd like to keep them for longer, pop in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to a month.
- Your banana should be ripe enough to eat, but not overripe – it still needs to be firm. If your bananas are on the smaller side, you will need to use two. The number of bites you actually end up with will really depend on the size of your banana and how you slice it.
- Be sure to use natural Peanut Butter. Some varieties of Peanut Butter contain “Antioxidant 320”. This product is banned in some countries and is derived from petroleum!
- Use a good quality dark chocolate. If you require this to be vegan, ensure your chocolate contains no animal products. If you have any leftover melted chocolate, spread it on some baking paper for a snack later!
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on a large banana being cut into 9 bites. The nutritional information is an estimate only.
The nutritional information is an estimate only, and is derived from online calculators. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
I’ve been making these every time I crave something sweet! It satisfies my sweet tooth and it’s so much better than having a candy bar! Sometimes I use almond butter instead of peanut butter and it’s delicious both ways!
Hi Corrine, I also like to eat the Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites. It is so good to have a sweet treat which is healthy. As well, I love the idea of using almond butter sometimes. Sounds delicious. 🙂
These satisfy MY sweet tooth but I can also have for the kids and feel good about it! Will make these again and again!
That is so good to hear – enjoy!
These are so delicious!
Thank you, Saif!
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness
Such a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth. I love that this is healthy.
Hi Dawn, I am so pleased that you like the Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites. I like to keep some on hand at all times; it’s good to have a healthy sweet treat. 🙂
Wow these are such a great idea! I’m a big fan of chocolate and PB! Thanks for sharing.
Christie, it’s always good to have a sweet treat which we can enjoy without guilt. 🙂
My kids grew up on the plain version of these, but adding peanut butter is genius!
Thank you Sue, I am so pleased that you like these super easy, delicious, healthy sweet treats. 🙂
A great after school treat for the kids. We love a chocolate, peanut butter and banana flavour combo!
Hi Beth, I do agree, these are perfect after school treats. This flavour combination is always popular and it is great to have a healthy option. 🙂
Lauren Vavala | Delicious Little Bites
My kids love these frozen banana bites for snack after school – so easy to make and delicious!
Thank you, Lauren! So glad they’re a hit 🙂
What a dreamy snack, Alex! Beautiful, delicious, nutritious, and so fun to eat!
Thank you so much, Marissa! I am so glad you like this 🙂